News and Events
Nanosafety Forum for Young Scientists
The NanoSafety Cluster is hosting a “Nanosafety Forum for Young Scientists”. The event will take place in Syracuse, Sicily on Wednesday 8th and Thursday 9th October 2014, complemented by opportunities to meet experts and senior scientists. Prior to the Forum for young scientists the NSC meeting will be held on Tuesday 7th.
“Nanosafety days for young scientists”
Nanosafety Cluster and MODENA COST action jointly organize a scientific conference focusing on presentations of young scientists working in EU-funded nanosafety projects.
The event is an open Forum for scientists in the nanosafety research field including scientific sessions with oral presentations from the young scientists and forward looking keynotes from established senior investigators. The goal is to exchange scientific information and visions and to enable young and senior scientists to learn to know each other.
The presentations will be selected by the scientific programme committee from the submitted abstracts. The number of the participants is limited to 100, on a first come, first served basis.
- Registration (CLOSED)
- Instructions for Speakers
- How to get there?
- Organizers and acknowledgements
Download Programme here.
During the breaks Forum participants have a great opportunity to meet the experts - and perhaps challenge them to a debate.
The city of Syracuse is located on the east coast of Sicily with an interesting mixture of ancient and modern – a perfect venue for young scientists to meet experts and senior scientists.
The meeting will be held in the historical City Hall in the Syracuse city center (Piazza Duomo).
Registration fee 50€ includes:
- the scientific programme
- a guided tour in the Ortigia (Old City)
All other expenses are to be paid by the participants (via the EU projects budgets, COST action money or national projects)
NOTE: The payment (50€) should be made in advance in euros (EUR). Please, give all the billing information asked in the registration form. You will receive an invoice from FIOH for the registration fee in pursuance of the notice of acceptance. The receipt will be sent to you as soon as the fee is paid.
A brief abstract (max 250 words) should be sent to NSCForum@ttl.fi before 15 June 2014.
In the abstract, please, include your name and affiliation, to which session(s) your research work is connected and to which EU-project you belong (if any). You will receive a notice of acceptance after the abstracts have been evaluated (by the end of July).
Accepted abstracts will be presented in the plenary oral sessions.
Each presentation will be 10 minutes long. Ideally, in case you present a slideshow it should comprehend around 6 or 7 slides summarizing your main messages.
- International airport of Catania has direct flight connections from most European countries. There are several daily flights from Rome and Milan to Catania.
- A shuttle-bus connects the Catania airport with Syracuse (Catania-Siracusa, Siracusa-Catania). Please note that shuttle bus is not available after 8.30 pm from the Catania Airport.
- It is possible to have a taxi from the Catania airport to the hotel at the following cost: 1-4 persons: 60 euros (which means: 1 person= 60 euros, 2 persons= 30 euros per person, 3 persons= 20 euros per person, 4 persons= 15 euros per person), 5-8 persons: 80 euros (same mechanism). Those willing to take a taxi should give their arrival and departure time to local Organizing Committee, so that they can be aggregated in groups. If you want to book a taxi in advance, please contact the Local Organizing Committee: pietroiu(at)uniroma2.it or campagno(at)uniroma2.it. Taxis are also available on site, but at higher prices.
Local organizing committee:
- Luisa Campagnolo (coordinator)
- Valentina Amendola
- Maria Grazia Fundarò
- Maria Giuliano
- Francesca Montesanto
- Lucia Vecchione
Scientific programme committee:
- Antonio Pietroiusti
- Kai Savolainen
- Lea Pylkkänen
- Miguel A. Bañares
- Derk Brouwer
- Flemming Cassee
- Bengt Fadeel
- Benôit Hazebrouck
- Sergio Moya
- Rudolf Reuter
- Lesley Tobin
- Lang Tran
- Eva Valsami-Jones